It appears Daniel Cormier will be sticking around for at least one more fight.
On Thursday, UFC president Dana White confirmed the promotion’s plans to book Cormier in a trilogy fight against reigning heavyweight champion Stipe Miocic when both are healthy enough to compete again.
“Stipe is recovering from that fight. He’s got some bumps and bangs from that fight. We’re waiting for him to heal and then yeah, we’re going to do the trilogy,” White told Barstool Sports.
Cormier knocked out Miocic in their first meeting in 2018 before he suffered the same fate in their rematch in August at UFC 241. After a strong start to the fight, Cormier lost steam when Miocic began punishing him to the body, which eventually led to a fourth-round knockout as the Ohio native reclaimed the heavyweight title.
Following the fight, Cormier said he would need time to contemplate his future after previously teasing that retirement could be looming after the rematch with Miocic was finished.
Cormier has not publicly stated that he intends to fight again but obviously White appears ready to book the trilogy with Miocic as soon as both fighters are ready to return to action.
As for Miocic, he has consistently shrugged off questions about who he wanted to face next after avenging his prior defeat to Cormier in August.
Some believed that Francis Ngannou deserved the next title shot after he rattled off three straight wins in a row with a trio of knockouts against Cain Velasquez, Junior dos Santos and Curtis Blaydes. Unfortunately for him, it appears the UFC is planning to book Miocic vs. Cormier 3 instead.
Because the fighters are still healing, White couldn’t give a timeline when he hoped to book the trilogy, but given the landscape remaining in 2019, it’s likely Miocic vs. Cormier 3 wouldn’t happen until sometime next year.